Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
6 posts
15,875 visits

Comment: I am a mentally disabled older...

Newskills Needed started this conversation
Note: This aidpage was started as a comment on "US Federal Government Grants, Scholarships, Loans, Free Services"

I am a mentally disabled older person over 50 years old living in rural Southwest Virginia (Wise County). I have work skills, but most are "rusty". I have a good education, but those skills are over 30 years old! I feel I need to upgrade my skills and would like to know if there are any suitable no obligation scholarships out there. All I want to do is to pursue an online certificate in some in-demand field. However, I don't have the finances. Any leads or advice will be appreciated!
Click here to add your comment...

I think it is wonderful that you are willing to learn. It is never too late. Check your local authorities, they often have courses available free of charge for people going back to work. Sometimes if someone gets financial help to pay mortgage  it works in their favour, but if you don't, looking for a job and need to update skills may be just as good reason.

Talk to cat7

I am in the same club.

Talk to Gus4

Well in the state of South Carolina, you are able to learn 1 of four trades for free  if you were in any type of resource class.  

Talk to MVXI
 in response to Ineedmoney7...   

Hi, Have you contacted your local Vocational Rehabilitation Agency? You can check the internet or your state's website for the VR agency. This agency provides services to help people find, maintain or prepare for work; however, your plan to return to work must match your disability, your work experiences, your work skills and have some demand in the workforce. Good luck.

Talk to workitoutnj

If there are community colleges in your area call them if you haven't and tell them what you are looking for and ask what is available. There are grants for people like you most college students are adult learners. There are also continue education classes online and on campus. Hope this helps let me know if it does thanks.

Talk to Ineedmoney7